Before its creation into a barangay sometime in 1956, Batasan was part of what is then called Upper Malasila. This sector encompassed Taluan Creek area, present-day sitio Flortam, Batasan proper and Tubon (which is the area across Malasila River of present-day Batasan built-up area), and part of present-day Biangan. The following is a faithful historical account at how may a rural and undeveloped barrio evolve into what it is now – a progressive hub of economic activity and intellectual growth along NGO lines.
Tubon or Batasan?
Until the early 1970’s, Batasan was still referred to as “Tubon”. The name is accordingly derived from a rattan species called tubo or palasan that were plenty in the area during the time it was still largely rain forest. Others say the name was derived from the extremely numerous “tubod” or springs in the area which can still be found at present. Old folks recall that in 1957, the people voted on three proposed names for the planned new barangay. Th choices were as follows: Flortam, Tubon and Batasan. The strong bets then were the first two. Tubon was the majority choice. Proof of this was that in earlier documents and land titles, the place is referred to as Tubon. Extant pictures of the first elementary commencement exercise, showed graduates of “Tubon Elementary School”. More About Batasan
The place now called Bato was formerly known as “Sitio Baloy-Baloy” and was then part of mother Barangay Malungon. The locality got its latter name from the large rocks strewn in the area which had caught the attention of the late Mayor Ricardo L. Ipong, during a first visit by him to the area in the 1960s. Thus, that was how Bato got the name which stuck until it became a legitimate barrio in June 21, 1967.
The original dwellers of the place were Tagabawa-Bagobos then led by Datu Lamundao Damali, Salinda Berang, one named Sario, and a Muslim leader only known as Karbi. The native inhabitants lived in the area, and developed the place by planting various crops such as rubber, coffee, coconut and root crops. During this time the place was still under the jurisdiction of Barrio Malungon.
Later on, Mr. Jaime Calica, a barrio Councilman of Malungon, with jurisdiction over Sitio Baloy-Baloy, was requested by the residents to spearhead separating the sitio from its mother unit, creating a new and distinct barrio. More About Bato
Sitio Kibasto Roots
In 1956, Sitio Kibasto (now known as Biangan), rose as a distinct community. Its name was taken from two big barrios namely, Kisante and Batasan (the latter was then known as Tubon).
Within the period 1960-63, the following surfaced as core leaders: Candido Monreal, Francisco Dumasig, Bonifacio Gasque, Fortunato Deiparine, Tomas Geloca, Maximo Soan, Ciriaco Belonta, Quintin Dumasig, Placido Limbaga, Segundino Letigio, Emilio Letigio, Critolo Salang, Rustico Bondoc and Maximo Caǹa. These people lobbied for the immediate creation of the proposed barangay. More About Biangan
- Buena Vida
Origin of the Name
The name Buena Vida is derived from two Spanish words which literally means “Good Life”.
History has it that the first settlers (majority of whom came from Bohol) chose the name for their barangay, in awe to the area’s most fertile soil which thybelive would give them bountiful harvests and good life. Coming from the Visayan islands where centuries of tillage has practically had the people scraping the soil to rocky layers, Buena Vida was paradise to the pioneering migrants. More About Buena Vida
Buhay was carved from Indangan, its mother barangay, and has taken its name from the fresh mountain breeze of Mt. Apo which is a natural given, by virtue of its high elevation at somewhere between 800-900 meters above mean sea level (AMSL).
The area was first explored by a Manobo leader named Datu Simbanan Buned as he and his group expanded their kaingin activities. Three Muslim Datus namely, Sultan Palawan, Datu Rasuman Sarip and Datu Macasino Lominog, followed suit together with their families. Not long after that, migrant Christians from the Visayas particularly from the Samar-Leyte region likewise settled in the place led by the late Martin Genota. More About Buhay
Bulakanon is one of two barangays in Makilala (the other being Dagupan), with a predominantly Ilocano population. These settlers arrived in batches wave-by-wave in 1936 straight, from Zambales and Ilocos provinces in Luzon. They named the sitio they settled as “Budakanon” – in reference to a medicinal vine of the same name found plentiful in the area.
In 1939, just before the outbreak of World War II, Mr. Benedicto Sumabat, together with some settlers, worked for the separation of Sitio Budakanon from its mother barangay. Their efforts succeeded, with Mr. Agapito Fidere as the appointed barrio leader. More About Bulakanon
Origin of Name
The name Cabilao has an interesting origin. Formerly spelled Kabilaw, old folks coined the name by combining Ka from the word Kalaw (or Hornbill, now an endangered bird species), Bi from the word Biaw, a tree species predominantly growing in the area, and Law from the word Lawaan, a forest dipteropcarp species abundant in Mindanao. All three (kalaw, biaw, and lawaan) were then predominantly found in the area.
The lower mountainous areas of Cabilao were at first predominantly occupied by ethnic Tagabawa-Bagobos who cleared and tilled the area for agricultural purposes. In 1970’s, however, they sold part of their occupations to migrants from the Visayas who were – mostly from Bohol and Cebu provinces. More About Cabilao
Many years ago, barangay Concepcion as the place is now known, was then called Sitio Malaang, and was dominated by natives under Datu Unotan. In 1947, an organization called “Dayong” arised through the leadership of one Mr. Primitivo Conol. Seventeen families joined the organization. After three years (1950), a chapel and a one-classroom school building were constructed by the inhabitants. A “Teniente del Barrio”, Mr. Gregorio Gomez, led the place.
In 1952, Sitio Malaang (under the leadership of Mr. Justino Sarigumba) became officially a sector of Barangay Saguing. Saguing, in turn, was then still part of the Municipality of Kidapawan. At about this time, a barangay road was constructed from the National Highway up to the Concepcion–Sitio Riverside boundary. More About Concepcion
As in many areas, the precursor of present-day Dagupan was the organization in 1952 of a Chapel led by Mr. Ceroy Umali. A decade later (1963-64), a primary school was established, with some thirteen (13) families as founding pioneers. The creation of the barrio would come a year later.
Dagupan, as aptly called, derived its name from the Ilocano word “Dagup” or “Nagdadagupan” which means “a united group” – connoting how the populace, while coming from different provinces in the Visayas and Luzon, have converged and united to develop the place. For some time, it existed as a sitio of mother barangay Bulakanon.
Dagupan, alongside Bulakanon, is one th two barangays which are predominantly Ilocano in tribal composition. More About Dagupan
Origin of the Name
The name “Garsika” was derived from the first syllables of the two (2) municipalities of Bohol from where majority of the area’s settlers came from. “Gar” was derived from the municipality of Garcia, and “Sika” from the municipality of Sikatuna.
During the Second World War (1941-1945), the site of what is now Garsika, was a reserved forestal area of the municipality of Kidapawan. When peace time came, it was declared as alienable and disposable lands along with other areas lying towards the base of Mt. Apo Nature Park. More About Garsika
In the early 1950s, the inhabitants of what is now Guangan, were indigenous peoples (otherwise collectively called Lumads) who first came in, and started developing a portion of the forested area for agricultural production. Kaingin or slash-and-burn farming was practised by them. Several years later, agricultural activities were pursued more intensely with the arrival of Christian settlers coming from the different parts of the Visayas. More About Guangan
Origin of the Name
The name Indangan came from the word “Indang” a species of an exceptionally big tree located 2.5 kilometers away from what is now the center of the barangay. In those early days, when people from Indangan were asked “Where did you come from”, they would readily answer: “We came from Indangan”. From then on, the place is called by the same name.
The first inhabitants of the area were indigenous people led by Datu Macalunas, Datu Tungkaling, Datu Imboc and Datu Simbanan Buned. They tilled the land by way of kaingin; and they source our protein by hunting wild animals. More About Indangan
- Jose Rizal
In 1956, during the term of the former Mayor Ricardo Ipong of Makilala, the locality was still a part of Libertad which lies on the eastern part of the barangay towards the Davao-Cotabato National Highway.
The then Mayor encouraged the residents and the barrio officials of Libertad to create another barangay to be named “Libertad 2” – considering the largeness of the area and the capability of the people of the place to manage a separate political unit. More About Jose Rizal
- Katipunan II
“Katipunan” was derived from the word “Katipun-an”, a geophysical description of the three bodies of water namely: Saguing River, Malaang River and Inuwangan (Nuangan) River, joining together as one natural drainage at Barangay Katipunan. The Visayan settlers first called the place “Katipun-an,” which means “point of merger”. Later on, it was changed to Katipunan II, to distinguish the place from Sitio Katipunan (Barangay Indangan) and nearby Barangay Katipunan in the Municipality of Mlang.
Datu Sumen’s Homeland
As tradition and folklore have it, the area that straddles present-day Katipunan II, was once occupied by Manobo people led by their tribal chieftain named Datu Sumen. With the rivers rich in bounty, the soil fertile for the planting of root crops, the aborgines lived peacefully and harmoniously in the early times. More About Katipunan II
June 21, 1961 will be always remembered by Kawayanons as the birth of their Barangay, enacted through Republic Act No. 3590. But their is a long history of struggle against the harshness of frontier life.
Kawayanon is located at the base of the hills that form part of Labidangan Range southwest of Makilala. As told by the inhabitants of the place, the area was first settled sometime in 1956, by Tagabawa-Bagobos headed by their leaders, namely Tagnaan, Buansa and Kalumpitan, together with migrants from Bohol, Cebu, Iloilo, Leyte and a few from Luzon. At that time, the place has no name whatsoever. It was plainly a space in the vast forested Makilala which the people later chose to name Kawayanon, in reference to species of bamboos (locally called “kawayan”) that grew abundantly along the banks of its rivers and creeks. More About Kawayanon
Stories have it that the name Kisante (spelled Quisante in old Philippine maps), was the name of the dog of Lagingling, a Tribal hunter in times past who was said to have been into the area in search for water. Tired as Lagingling was, in search for drinking water, he fell asleep under a tree, only to be awaken by the barking of his dog as water flowed and began streaming right at his resting place. Since then, the natives called the place Kisante.
Before the Second World War (WW II), Kisante was only a sitio of barangay Malasila, the latter of which was under the Municipality of Kidapawan. The establishment of barangay Kisante was made sometime before the Japanese occupancy in the country. Datu Udas Moteng was Kisante’s first Teniente del Barrio. At that time (1935), Datu Siawan Ingkal was the municipal mayor of Kidapawan. More About Kisante
Leboce is a relatively warm interior agrarian reform community (ARC) in the western portion of Makilala. It is bounded by Barangay Luz Village (Mlang) in the south, Barangay Dagupan in the North, Barangay Luna Sur in the east, and Barangay Sinkatulan, Makilala and Barangay Nueva Vida (Mlang) in the west.
The barangay rests on elevated undulating grounds covering a total land area of 544.58 hectares. It was formerly a public timberland which people encroached in 1954 – thus prompting the national government to declare the area as alienable and disposable, and release the land to the actual tillers. More About Leboce
Sometime in 1937 the place was reached by adventurous and sturdy settlers, notably Mr. Epitacio Villocino Sr., Mr. Pelagio Policarpio and his 3 brohers, Mr. Simeon Dacara, the late Jose Cac, Emilio Llego, Guillermo Maragañas, Castro Obrador and other individuals who have contributed to the emergence of Libertad. This erstwhile uncharted area of Librtad is bounded by Malaang River in the south; by Saguing River in the north. Eastward, it is bounded by the so called “Compra” of Saguing.
To the West is what is now Katipunan II, and present-day Barangay Jose Rizal, which at that time was still part of territorial Libertad. All these combined, was still part of what was once known as bigger Kalaisan, in the Municipality of Kidapawan. Makilala was not yet then a municipality! More About Libertad
Nestled at an elevation of more or less 600 meters above the mean sea level, Barangay Luayon is a miniature valley southeast of Makilala municipality. Traversed at the middle by Taluntalunan-Dako river, it is exceptionally resource rich. Thus it came as no surprise that the people in the area, mostly Tagabawa-Bagobos, would have a sense of history that is quite long and far-reaching into their past.
Datu Calagio Territory
As the people’s oral tradition would have it, the name Luayon has existed contemporaneous with the Spanish regime. It was then ruled by a Bagobo tribal chieftain named Datu Calagio. He had many followers and his orders were law. He sentenced to death erring subjects. The major crimes punishable by death were: adultery, kidnapping of another’s wife, and stealing. Minor offenders were punished by selling them to other Datus at a very low price, or bartering them with a horse or any other materials in times of famine. Capital punishments were meted through the use of the Datu Calagio’s spear, sharp bolo, or kris. More About Luayon
- Luna Norte
Luna Norte came from the then undivided New Luna. In the early days (1958-59), the place’s name was adopted by the group of settlers, in remembrance of the town of Luna, in the province of La Union in Northern Luzon from where many of them came from. The original inhabitants of the area were Bagobos, who now only comprises 2% of the total population.
In 1962, a few years after its separation from Bulakanon (its mother barrio), Luna was divided into two (2) distinct LGU territory. The northern sector was named “Luna Norte”; and the southern part, “Luna Sur”. The appointed and first Teniente del Barrio of Luna Norte at that time, was the late Mr. Nemesio Nacionales who served only for one year due to his unstable health. The successor, Mr. Orlando Zayas, served the barangay from 1963 to 1964. More About Luna Norte
- Luna Sur
The then one-time undivided Barangay New Luna became a legitimate barrio on the mid-morning of April 24, 1951. It was then part of the Municipality of Kidapawan. The creation of the Municipality of Makilala was still more than three years away. The name “New Luna” was derived from the municipality of Luna in the province of La Union (Northern Luzon), from where majority of the settlers came from.
The first (appointed) barrio lieutenant or Teniente del Barrio was Mr. Manuel Canda, Mr Alvino Navidad served as Secretary/Treasurer, and Mr. Isidro Naveno was Barrio Police. Messrs. Victorio Bajenting, Thomas Apari, and Francisco Evangelista were the first Barrio Councilors. Their term of office as officials was only for one (1) year, but Mr. Canda would have a couple of years as barrio head. More About Luna Sur
In the early 1960s, the settlement of what is now known as Sitio Lacobe (then a barangay of Tulunan) was the more inhabited part of the area. It was settled by Muslim Maguindanaons who were farming peacefully in the area. The breakdown of peace and order in the early 1970s (otherwise known as the Mindanao Conflict), however, would forever change the landscape, and history would have no turning back.
Impact of the Mindanao Conflict
In 1972, at the height of Muslim-Christian conflict, a cult called “Ilaga” raided the place. The Muslim populace migrated to the Muslim communities in the nearby municipalities of Tulunan, Columbio and Mlang. Lacobe’s Muslim leader, Barangay Captain Masla Mama Masulot, joined the Ilocano settlers in sitio Malabuan. When Malabuan was thereafter created as a new barangay of Makilala, Masulot was elected as its barangay captain. The predominantly Christian community existed with a Muslim Barangay Captain (Masulot) who would however later leave the barangay for other places. More About Malabuan
Malasila derived its name from a Bagobo word “Malas’si” which means “difficult”. This refers to the main river (therafter also named Malasila) which is not easy to cross in times of floods, and whosoever would try to traverse it will suffer bad fate.
Birth of the Barrio
Malasila in the old times was then the oldest and the biggest barrio in the entire Municipality of Pikit (the first town of North Cotabato). Pikit then was part of the “Empire Province” of Cotabato (which spanned the present-day Sarangani, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao and North Cotabato, including the chartered cities of Cotabato and Gen. Santos). Malasila became a Barangay on the 27th day of August, 1920, through a proclamation order issued by A. E Gilmore, Acting Governor General, and in later years, through Proclamation Order No. 134 Section 181 of Act No. 2874 as Amended by Act No. 3219 on, December 23, 1927, creating Malasila into an Agricultural Farm Site. More About Malasila
As in the case with many of the interior barangays of Makilala, Malungon as we know now, was first made accessible by logging roads during the boom years of the timber industry in Mindanao (1950s untill the early 1970s). The center of Malungon is best described as a fertile plain surrounded by forests and forestlands. It is a place where people can confidently grow crops and get a living from the yield of the soil. Being the farthest western barangay reckoned from the Poblacion of Makilala, the road to Malungon has been rehabilitated and converted into an all-weather type a few years back. Electric power line in the area was established about ten years ago.
The center of Malungon is best described as a fertile plain surrounded by forests and forestlands. It is a place where people can confidently grow crops and get a living from the yield of the soil. Being the farthest western barangay reckoned from the Poblacion of Makilala, the road to Malungon has been rehabilitated and converted into an all-weather type a few years back. Electric power line in the area was established about ten years ago. More About Malungon
- New Baguio
New Baguio became a barrio in 1962, carved from Malabuan as its mother political unit. Before that, it was formerly called Sitio Upper Malabuan, with rubber as its main crop, and a large sector falling under the then Firestone Ruber Plantation. Its first appointed barangay captain was the late Barangay Captain Tomas Igao.
Presently, the corporate rubber plantation was dismantled under the Comprehensive Agrarian Reform Program (CARP) of the Government, and such lands were availed by former employees and workers of the corporation. More About New Baguio
- New Bulatukan
Folklore has it that the name Bulatukan was given in honor of a dog that helped his master, a hunter named Datu Butuwan; find water in the hinterlands of what was then greater Bulatukan. Allegedly, Datu Butuwan’s dog was instrumental in making him dig ground whence forth spurts clear spring water which later on becomes a stream, then a river. Since then, Datu Butuwan named the place “Bulatukan”. Because of the fertile soil in this area where flows the river, many people choose to stay in the place until it grew into an already formidable tribal community even before the outbreak of the Second World War (1941-45).
Division of Bulatukan
Under the lead initiative of the late Datu Awad Tampulong, the locality was divided into two: the lower part adjacent to Davao del Sur was named “Old Bulatukan” and the upper portion adjacent to barrio Kisante was called “New Bulatukan”. The latter, has three promient sitios which are distinct communities in themselves, namely Mahayag, Sta Cruz, and San Isidro. New Bulatukan became a barangay on August 1, 1960 by virtue of such subdivision. Mr. Alfonso Cabacungan Sr., an ex-councilor of Makilala, had also been instrumental on this strategic move. More About New Bulatukan
- New Cebu
As in the case with most barangays, transition into one distinct political unit was not an easy road. The core of what is now New Cebu, neighborhood started a chapel built through the initiative of pioneering residents, namely: Mr. & Mrs. Demetrio Diez; Mr & Mrs. Maximo; Serafin Selgas; Mr. & Mrs. Epifanio; Aurea Visabella and Mr & Mrs. Filipino Jayo. Recorded history shows that the first concelebrated mass in the area was held on May 15, 1965, in honor of San Isidro Labrador, patron saint of the farmers.
Creation of the Barrio
Some five (5) years later, on April 7, 1970, the Municipal Council of Makilala passed Resolution No. 1970-32, manifesting and presenting for consideration by the Provincial Board of Cotabato, the proposed creation of Sitio New Cebu into a regular barangay. On the matter, Opinion No. 0827-70 of the Office of the Provincial Attorney, then favorably recommended to Hon. Governor Simeon Datumanong, the creation of Sitio New Cebu into a regular barrio of Makilala, under R.A No. 3590 otherwise known as the Revised Barrio Charter of the Philippines. More About New Cebu
- New Israel
To the founding fathers of the barangay, the name New Israel means “new paradise” – and with good reason. It formally became a regular barrio by virtue of a Provincial Proclamation issued by the then Governor Carlos B. Cajelo in 26 September 1975, separating it from its mother local government unit – New Bulatukan.
The locality rests on rolling and hilly areas and is bounded by Barangay Kisante and Biangan in the North, Barangay New Bulatukan in the West, Barangay Old Bulatukan in the South and Mt. Apo Nature Park in the East. More About New Israel
- Old Bulatukan
Barangay Old Bulatukan, Makilala’s gateway to southeastern Mindanao, is most noticeable by its vantage view of the province of Davao del Sur. Descendants of the Tagabawa-Bagobos, original inhabitants of the area, recall by way of oral history how the place was once virgin forests. Then standing tall were towering Apitong and Lawaan trees of which growing on their branches, were endemic arial flora, notably the rare waling-waling orchids! On the ground, they were told of roaming wild pigs and deers – the native’s source of protein in addition to bullfrogs and eels.
Fortunately for the present generation, this description of old times, can still be experienced first-hand by paying a visit to Sitio Malumpini – Old Bulatukan’s premier Indigenous Peoples frontier settlement some ten (10) kilometers east of the national highway. More About Old Bulatukan
The area of what is now Barangay Poblacion was once named Barrio Lamitan by people. Unitl the early 1970’s, people would still refer to it by the same name. That Lamitan was an important centr of economic activity is best exemplified by the fact that it was chosen as the seat of the would be municipality.
The name Makilala, is an acronym representing the three (3) big barangays, namely Malasila for “Ma”, Kisante for “Ki”, and Lamitan for “La”. This basic government units were then the most prominent barrios at the onset of the creation of the municipality. A second “La” was reportedly added to give it a Filipino word (Makilala) meaning: to be known, or to be famous, or in a far better perspective, “to get to know”. Other accounts, however, say that the second “La” was in reference to another charter barangay, La Libertad (which will eventually carry the name Libertad in contemporary times). More About Poblacion
Rodero was in the past, part of the undivided Bulatukan. In the middle-1950s, the present barangay site was a highly forested territory where most of the inhabitants were the native Tagabawa-Bagobos. The place which is predominantly hilly, was then covered with thick vegetation – which made the place suitable hunting grounds for the inhabitants. Wild animals then abound in the territory, and this free source of protein was easy to find.
Folklore has it that in the 1920’s, there once was a hunter named Datu Tadim who lived in in the area where Manobo-Kidapawanons and Tagabawa-Bagobos dwelled. In one of his hunting trips Datu Tadim felt tired and chose to rest under a tree near a stream. To his great surprise, he noted a cluster of banana plants right smack at the middle of the river. He promptly informed his other companions roaming around of what he saw. The latter immediately went to find out if Datu Tadim was telling them the truth, or not seing mere hallucinations. They knew bananas do not grow in water-logged areas; what more at the middle of a river?
To the astonishment of the tribesmen, as mythical accounts have it, they saw not just one or five banana plants but a cluster of them growing as reported. A similar plant called “abaka” was also found growing in the area. From then on, they called the place Saguing – the local word for banana, the fruit of which species of plant served as their food on their hunting trips, and even for their families when brought back home. Since then, whenever asked of the name of the place, they would immediately answer “Saguing”. More About Saging
- San Vicente
The Barangay of San Vicente, rose to current agro-industrial prominence, from a wide territory of what was known before World War II as Kalaisan-Budakanon. Oral history has it that In 1938, immigrants coming from the Visayas particularly from the provinces of Bohol, Cebu and Leyte came to this place which was then known to the native inhabitants as “Kalaisan- Budakanon”. The early indigenous dwellers of the place, according to oral history, were Datu Iggil, Datu Onotan, Datu Bakong, Datu Ikdang and Datu Madasig. Malaang and Malasila Rivers were then its natural boundaries with barrio Lamitan. Both (Kalaisan-Budakanon and Lamitan) were then still a part of the municipality of Kidapawan in the then undivided Cotabato Empire Provice. More About San Vicente
In the early part of 1930’s through the1940’s, the place now known as Sinkatulan was a thickly-forested area. Even the native (Lumad) inhabitants of Barangay San Vicente (its mother barangay) were afraid to enter the area because of the presence of so many Balete trees. The natives believe that those Balete trees are the homes of fairies and other supernatural creatures. This belief was aggravated by the rumors on the existence of two (2) super powerful creatures namely, “Makaptan” and “Sepada”. Makaptan has the ability to make people sick, and Sepada has the power of killing people. The natives believed that the two were residing in any of those big Balete trees. Hence their avoiding the forests at all cost. More About Sinkatulan
- Sta. Filomena
Present-day Sta. Felomina, with a population of 1,794 people (355 households) over a total land area of only 211.48 hectares, holds the highest population density at 8.43 persons per hectare (higher than Poblacion’s 7.58 persons/ha.)
Originally, Sta. Felomina was a sitio of Barrio Taluntalunan. It was populated by only seven (7) households led by Mr. Bienvenido Orteza and his immediate family. The first move of th said core group, was to put up a chapel. A Lamitan resident Mr. Egmedio Suarez, (who would later become the appointed first Vice Mayor), donated a statue of our Lady of Sta. Filomena, which was installed in the chapel, and would become the patron saint of the place. Eventually, it would likewise bear the name of the barrio upon its creation in 1954. More About Sta. Filomena
- Sto. Niño
Barangay Sto. Niño, which was formerly a sitio of Barangay Malasila, was created on April 24, 1968. The barangay derived its name from its Patron Saint, “Sr. Sto. Niño” which was chosen by the pioneering settlers of the place – majority of whom are Roman Catholics by faith. The locality, with a total land area of 590.4 hectares, was comprised by areas carved out from barangays Luayon, Sta Felomina, and mother barangay Malasila.
Ethnic Tabagawa-Bagobos were the original inhabitants of Sto.Nino. They however intermarried with settlers who came to settle in the area. Of the pioneering migrants, the persons of Mr. Bruno Romero, Mr. Atilano Fabre, Mr. Justiniano Bongcales and Mr. Eliseo Tangpus spearheaded the founding families who worked for the creation of the barangay. More About Sto. Niño
The named Taluntalunan is derived from the river which traverses the place coming from Sitio Kalot of Barangay Luayon – creating a series of falls (Talon in tagalog), until it reaches the flat lands of Sta. Felomina and merged with the long and winding Malasila River.
Prior to the outbreak of the Second World War, the Tagabawa-Bagobos were the only inhabitants of the place. Later on, settlers from different parts of the country, particular from Visayas, attracted to the “Mindanao: Land of Promise” call of the government for migration to southern Philippines. During that time, the so-called Mindanao Conflict would still be three decades away. More About Taluntalunan
Formerly known as Daig Batang, Barangay Villaflores which was crerated in 1957, derived its name from Spanish word “Villaflores” which means “a place of flowers”. Accordingly, there were three (3) names proposed: Purgatorio suggested by Serio Roilo, Paraiso, by Librado Hormeguera and Villaflores by Federico Mujeres. The last garnered highest number of votes, which accordingly, former Vice Teniente Del Barrio Federico Mujeres, an Ilongo, suggested in honor of their place of origin in Iloilo Province, Panay Island in Western Visayas. More About Villaflores